Ah pesto.... the smell of fresh basil...it takes me back to the time we lived…
ASPARAGUS AND TOMATO EGG MUFFINS
Good morning & happy Saturday everyone! I woke up craving eggs with as much “stuff” as I could add to them. Sadly, I only had some asparagus and a few grape tomatoes left over from my Pesto Spaghetti Squash & Shrimp recipe that I made a few days ago. I thought about what else I could add to these Asparagus and Tomato Egg Muffins and knew this would truly be an experiment. What did I find? Tahini paste.
Most of you probably know that tahini is simply ground up sesame seeds. It has a rich, nutty flavor that compliments a wide array of dishes. After eliminating chickpeas from my diet, I’ve come up with some fun ways to make hummus so I always try to have some tahini in the pantry in case the mood strikes. Or if I decide to get a little crazy and use it in my eggs.
And what an easy recipe this turned out to be. After sauteing my red onion and asparagus with some dill, salt & pepper in a little ghee, I added a large spoonful to the bottom of a pre-greased muffin pan. I then beat my eggs for a minute or two and added the tahini, salt and pepper and mixed well. Then folded in the greens. Poured the egg mixture on top of the asparagus and tomatoes until filled each cup about 3/4 full. Top with sliced red grape tomatoes and pop it in the oven. So quick and easy!
These Asparagus and Tomato Egg Muffins had such a delightful texture from the slight bite of the asparagus. The tahini and dill lent a wonderful, sweet flavor that complimented the other ingredients well. The tomatoes added a cheerful bright color and acidity that rounded everything out perfectly. My husband is my guinea pig- he is always honest and gives incredible feedback. He ate five of them.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend- thank you so much for stopping by!
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 cup asparagus, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup mixed organic greens (arugula, radicchio, chard, mustard)
- 10 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅔ cup red grape tomatoes, sliced
- Coconut oil for greasing muffin pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- Melt ghee in small saute pan over medium-high heat. Add asparagus, red onion, dill, salt and pepper. Saute for 5-7 minutes until vegetables are slightly softened. Remove from heat and add a spoonful of the mixture to the bottom of each of muffin pan.
- In a large glass bowl, beat eggs until completely blended. Add tahini and mix well. Add mixed greens, salt and pepper and mix until thoroughly blended. Pour egg mixture into muffin cups until they are ¾ full.
- Top with sliced tomatoes and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on a baking rack.
2. These egg muffins hold up well and can be served at room temperature.