I think for most of us while grocery shopping, we spend more money on protein…
SHRIMP EGG ROLL BOWL
Lately I have been craving Chinese food. There is a restaurant right next door to one of the grocery stores we shop at and it just seems to taunt me with the wonderful smells coming out of the doors. Unfortunately, I need to stay away from too much sodium so that option is out. HOWEVER, a much better and healthier option is to make one of my favorite dishes at home so I did a twist on a shrimp egg roll. A deconstructed Shrimp Egg Roll Bowl.
I have seen a lot of recipes out there on Pinterest with this same concept in mind. I made mine a little different and it was a huge hit. I had one bowl- my husband ate the rest. I was pretty bummed because I think this dish would have made excellent leftovers. I can say this will be a staple in our home as we were ordering Chinese food once a week up until last year.
So how was this Shrimp Egg Roll Bowl different? I marinated the shrimp with a sweet & tangy sauce to try to mimic my favorite dipping sauce. Next time, I may attempt to make a sauce to drizzle after the dish is complete. The second difference is that I used a broccoli slaw mix instead of a coleslaw mix. It had some carrots and red cabbage in it but I added more red cabbage. I might add some red pepper next time for additional color. The final difference is that I used ground chicken instead of pork because it was on sale for $.99 for a 1lb package and I stocked up my freezer. I may try the pork next time and season it to mimic pork sausage.
I absolutely loved how this turned out. It had the perfect balance of sweet with a little heat, the crunch of the vegetables and tender bites of shrimp. I didn’t even miss the “roll” part of the shrimp spring roll. If you like these flavors, check out my Sweet & Spicy BBQ Meatballs with similar ingredients. You can find the recipe by clicking here. I hope you enjoy!
- Shrimp Marinade
- 12 Large Shrimp, Peeled & Deveined
- 3 tablespoons Franks Red Hot
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- ½ tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup sweet onion, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 lb ground chicken or pork
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp Frank's Red Hot
- 14 oz bag broccoli slaw with carrots
- ½ cup chopped red cabbage
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Heat large skillet to medium high heat. Remove shrimp from marinade and cook 1-2 minutes each side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Brown the chicken (or pork) until thoroughly cooked.
- Add the garlic, sweet onion, white parks of green onion and saute for five minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except for sesame seeds and saute for 10 minutes until broccoli slaw mix is tender.
- Add shrimp back to pan and stir, cooking an additional minute.
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds before serving.
2. Try drizzling a compliant sweet & sour sauce over top for a nice twist.