We are now more than halfway through summer, one of the hottest and most humid…
SWEET & TANGY BBQ WINGS
I recently posted a recipe for an amazing Paleo BBQ sauce. And what better to put that sauce on than wings? They are my favorite part of grilling- so versatile, inexpensive, flavorful- a winner with most at a cookout. So I have prepared here for you today some Sweet & Tangy BBQ Wings.
For all of my wing recipes, whether baked or grilled, I always coat them in arrowroot powder & salt and let sit in the refrigerator on a baking rack over a pan for a few hours. This method will produce extra crispy chicken without the extra fat from frying. Once the wings have sat for a few hours remove and prepare your grill. I recently switched from a gas grill to a Weber charcoal grill and absolutely love it! Personally I like to experiment with different types of charcoal- there are so many amazing flavors out there!
For this particular batch of sweet & tangy BBQ wings, I used an applewood smoked charcoal, elevating the taste of the chicken with natural sweet flavor. I set my wings on the grill in a single layer making sure my wings weren’t touching and covered cooking for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally. I then brushed some sauce on, cooked for an additional 1-2 minutes and voila! Beautifully charred tender sweet and tangy wings.
I go back and forth between basting my sweet & tangy BBQ wings throughout the entire grilling process to just adding the sauce at the very end. I made one batch with just a final coat at the end which produced a less messy but still delicious wing. The second batch, I upper my BBQ sauce game and added it after the grilling was complete. Serve up with some raw vegetables and a tahini dip and you have the perfect meal. Heat from the sweet tender wings paired with refreshing crunch of the vegetables and the creaminess of the tahini dip, it’s a total win! How do you like to prepare your wings?
- PALEO BBQ SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1- 6oz can tomato paste
- 1- ½ cups chicken bone broth
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 12 Chicken Wings (drummettes, wings & wing tips intact)
- ¼ cup Arrowroot Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- PALEO BBQ SAUCE
- In a medium sauce pan, heat ghee over medium high heat and sauté onion until slightly caramelized.
- Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Thoroughly dry wings with paper towels.
- In a large bowl or freezer bag, combine the arrowroot and salt. Add wings and shake until completed coated.
- Place a wire rack on a baking sheet. Set chicken wings in a single layer on wire rack.
- Refrigerate wings for at least an hour up to eight hours.
- Heat the grill to medium heat, about 350 degrees.
- Place chicken wings on grill and cook covered for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally with BBQ tongs.
- Brush a little of the BBQ sauce (recipe below) on wings cook for 1-2 minutes longer on each side. Remove from heat and toss with remaining sauce.
2. Chicken wings are less expensive to buy whole and cut down yourself at home.